Swimmers plunge into the new year
WYOMING – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team kicked off 2023 with an action-packed weekend of competition. On Friday, Jan. 6, the team dueled Cody and Riverton at the Cody Triangular. Hitting the road again on Saturday, Sublette County placed fifth at the Gene Dozah Invitational hosted by Powell.
Senior Owen Nielson qualified for State in three additional events. At Cody, he earned gold in the 100-backstroke with a qualifying time of 1 minute, 7.47 seconds.
Nielson also qualified in the 200-individual medley at Cody, capturing third place with a time of 2:27.06.
At Powell, Nielson snagged second place in the 200-freestyle, posting a qualifying time of 2:05.21.
Junior Andy DeClue qualified in the 200-individual medley at Cody. He took fourth place with a time of 2:29.01.
DeClue finished third in the 100-freestyle at Cody, timing in at 55.83 seconds.
Nielson, DeClue and senior Dillon Boespflug have now each qualified in seven of eight individual state events.
Boespflug broke 1 minute in the 100-freestyle at Cody, bagging silver with a time of 55.54 seconds. He took third place in the 50-freestyle in Cody, hitting the finish line in 25.21 seconds.
Hacklin snapped up second place in the 100-backstroke at 1:14.53.
Boespflug, Hacklin, DeClue and Nielson secured third place in the 200-medley relay at Cody with a time of 1:58.23.
Nielson, junior John Ruby, DeClue and Boespflug placed third place in the 400-freestyle relay at Cody, clocking in at 3:55.41.
“It is very exciting to see the progress the boys are making,” wrote Co-Head Coaches Kursty Day and Cheryl Grossman. “Reuben Allen took 7 seconds off his 100-breaststroke on Friday in Cody and Wyatt Hyde posted some nice times in Cody and Powell for his first time in a swim competition. This weekend gave our boys a great opportunity to compete against teams that we don’t get to see often in our schedule.”
Additional results – Cody
- 200-medley relay: Ruby, Reuben Allen, Kaden Day and Calleb Willson in sixth place at 2:27.33.
- 200-freestyle: Ruby in sixth place at 2:16.40.
- 200-individual medley: Hacklin in sixth place at 2:34.63.
- 50-freestyle: Wyatt Hyde in seventh place at 29.34 seconds, Willson in eighth at 29.66, Day in ninth at 29.86, Allen in 11th at 38.11 and Logan Visser in 12th at 39.76.
- 100-freestyle: Hyde in eighth place at 1:10.38 and Visser in 12th at 1:32.10.
- 500-freestyle: Ruby in fourth place at 6:24.63.
- 200-freestyle relay: Willson, Allen, Visser and Hyde in fifth place at 2:16.22.
- 100-backstroke: Willson in fourth place at 1:21.61 and Allen in seventh at 1:40.63.
- 400-freestyle relay: Hacklin, Day, Visser and Hyde in fifth place at 4:59.04.
Additional results – Powell
- 200-medley relay: Boespflug, Hacklin, Ruby and DeClue in fifth place at 2:02.34.
- 200-freestyle: Willson in eighth place at 2:35.01.
- 200-individual medley: Boespflug in fifth place at 2:23.72, Day in 12th at 2:43.59 and Ruby in 13th at 2:44.86.
- 50-freestyle: DeClue in sixth place at 25.57 seconds, Hacklin in 12th at 27.41, Hyde in 18th at 30.39, Allen in 22nd at 36.65 and Visser in 24th at 41.75.
- 100-butterfly: Boespflug in fourth place at 1:01.57 and DeClue in fifth place at 1:06.04.
- 100-freestyle: Willson in 12th place at 1:04.15 and Allen in 18th at 1:32.37.
- 200-freestyle relay: Hacklin, Willson, DeClue and Nielson in fifth place at 1:48.53.
- 100-backstroke: Day in seventh place at 1:15.62, Hyde in 13th at 1:35.07 and Visser in 15th at 2:11.23.
- 100-breaststroke: Hacklin in ninth place at 1:17.43 and Nielson in 13th at 1:18.91.
• 400-medley relay: Ruby, Boespflug, Willson and Nielson in fourth place at 4