WYOMING – In a true test of stamina, the Sublette County combined girls’ swim team competed in three meets over the span of five days. Rising to the occasion, the swimmers managed to drop times and post strong performances at each event.
Sublette County defeated Lyman, 102-71, in a duel hosted by Big Piney High School on Tuesday, Oct. 4. Highlights from the meet were published in the Oct. 7 edition of the Roundup.
Two days later, the team took on Kemmerer in another duel. The Rangers pulled out the win in a close battle, 108-80.
The athletes climbed back on the bus to compete at the Rawlins Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 8. Sublette County placed fifth with 151 points.
On Tuesday in Big Piney, the team recognized seniors Rhonda Auradou, Morgan Grossman, Lilly Joseph, Rayne Wheeler and manager Owen Nielson.
“I have had the privilege of coaching them for the past four years,” said Co-Head Coach Kursty Day. “They are amazing individuals and I know they will go on and accomplish their goals in life.”
Grossman qualified for State in her third event – the 100-freestyle – as the lead swimmer in the 400-freestyle relay at Rawlins.
Co-Head Coach Kelsey Harder described the three meets as a “wild week.”
“The girls worked really hard and were super competitive,” she said. “They showed up smiling and full of excitement for the day.”
The team “showed strong effort” at all three events, said Day.
“Some swimmers dropped time and others tried new events, challenging themselves in events they do not normally swim,” she added.
Kemmerer top-three highlights
Auradou earned gold in diving at the Kemmerer Duel, scoring 169.90 points following six dives.
Junior Addy Levitt, sophomore Maggie Walker, sophomore KaLee Bohnet and Grossman captured first place in the 200-medley relay, posting a time of 2 minutes, 24.30 seconds.
Grossman scooped up silver in the 200-freestyle, clocking in at 2:31.60. She placed third in the 100-breaststroke at 1:40.25.
Wheeler took second place in the 400-freestyle, finishing the long-distance event with a time of 5:56.77. She bagged bronze in the 200-freestyle, timed in at 2:42.40.
Walker came in second place in the 100-breaststroke, hitting the finish line in 1:37.08. Levitt picked up silver in the 100-backstroke with a time of 1:32.57.
In the 50-freestyle, sophomore Emma York snagged third place, finishing the event in 33.88 seconds. Freshman Clairee Bingham took bronze in the 200-individual medley at 3:42.88.
Posting a time of 1:51.18, freshman Kamia Runyan came in third place in the 100-backstroke.
The 200-freestyle relay team – Wheeler, sophomore Alexis Thompson, Walker and Grossman – scored silver with a time of 2:15.29.
Freshman Alyce Hayward, Thompson, sophomore Jolynn Jones and Wheeler took third place in the 200-medley relay at 2:56.35.
In the 400-freestyle relay, Bingham, freshman Hadlee Francis, York and sophomore Mya Swain earned bronze at 6:24.33.
Additional Kemmerer results
• 200-medley relay: Catie Langlois, Evalyn Smith, Chelsea Wright and York in fourth place at 3:12.73.
• 200-freestyle: Levitt in fifth place at 3:00.44, Wright in sixth at 3:29.28, Cambry Jenks in seventh at 3:29.33 and Francis in eighth at 3:36.67.
• 50-freestyle: Walker in fourth place at 34.32 seconds, Jones in fifth at 34.44, Libby Olson in sixth at 36.36, Bohnet in seventh at 36.97, Runyan in ninth at 38.15, Kaylea Mortensen in 10th at 40.27, Bryn Arne in 12th at 42.02, Swain in 13th at 44.25, Langlois in 14th at 44.92, Mariaha Morgan in 15th at 45.27, Charlotte Delker in 16th at 50.37 and Smith in 17th at 54.21.
• 100-freestyle: Thompson in fourth place at 1:19.41, Olson in fifth at 1:25.70, Bingham in sixth at 1:28.47, Bohnet in seventh at 1:32.03, Hayward in eighth at 1:38.20, Langlois in ninth at 1:43.72 and Swain in 10th at 1:44.34.
• 400-freestyle: York in fourth place at 6:01.93, Jones in fifth at 6:18.15 and Arne in sixth at 7:15.60.
• 200-freestyle relay: Olson, Jones, Mortensen and Levitt in fourth place at 2:34.35.
• 100-backstroke: Mortensen in fourth place at 1:52.48, Wright in fifth at 1:53.06, Morgan in seventh at 2:00.01, Hayward in eighth at 2:01.72, Francis in ninth at 2:02.98, Jenks in 10th at 2:04.59 and Delker in 11th at 2:14.69.
• 100-breaststroke: Thompson in fourth place at 1:48.20.
• 400-freestyle relay: Mortensen, Smith, Wright and Hayward in fourth place at 6:34.34.
Rawlins – top-10 individual results
• 200-freestyle: Grossman in third place at 2:14.11.
• 200-individual medley: Jones in 10th place at 2:54.74.
• 50-freestyle: Grossman in fifth place at 28.47 seconds and Walker in eighth at 29.31.
• Diving: Auradou in fifth place with 286.05 points and Joseph in sixth with 263.50.
• 100-freestyle: Wheeler in eighth place at 1:03.65.
100-breaststroke: Wheeler in sixth place at 1:22.83 and Walker in seventh at 1:25.45.
The girls’ swim team is back in action this coming weekend, competing against 21 teams at the Laramie Invitational on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 14-15.
The Conference Swim Meet takes place in Lander on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 21-22.